Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Quote Each Day Keeps the Doctor Away


Hello, everyone!  It’s Erica again, and I’ve been thinking (uh-oh!).  In the rush of our busy lives, often we only have time for worrying about preserving the environment, rather than appreciating it.  Yes, we recycle our plastic water bottles (right?), but sometimes we don’t think about the beauty that we are saving with our actions.  I know that, personally, when I set aside time in my day to take a quick walk, I am more motivated to aid Mother Nature in her constant struggle against us humans.  So, on one of these contemplative treks, I decided that I needed to spread my motivation to those of us who lack this time to return to nature. 
Nothing motivates me more than a good quote.  Perhaps I am alone, due to my oddly intense love for the written word, but I figured that I’d share some of my favorite quotes about the environment with you all (Bear with me, please, if you aren’t the “inspirational speech type”.  You just may find a little something to chew on this week, regardless).

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.  ~Native American Proverb

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.  ~John Muir

Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.  ~Chief Seattle

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty.  ~John Ruskin

If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice for your soul is alive.  ~Eleanora Duse

Now, I know that words on paper (or your computer screen in this case) are simply words to some, but if you don’t have time to connect with nature physically, then I hope that these quotes give you the inspiration you need to continue your sustainable life.  Any difficult task is made all-the-more difficult when we forget why we are doing it.  Remember that each step that we make towards a “greener” existence helps ensure the nature’s beauty into the future.  With this bit of wisdom in your minds, go forth and conserve!


P.S.  As a follow-up to my previous blog post:
It is always great to stay up-to-date and read about other great ways to live a sustainable life; therefore, articles and other sources that provide inspiration for my blog posts are always encouraged.  I would like to thank Emily for showing me this article and I hope that it inspires you too!
Follow the link below to read the article:

No comments:

Post a Comment