Thursday, April 5, 2012

     Spring has sprung!  The days are getting longer and the temperatures are rising, but what I have also noticed is the vast amounts of calves that I have seen in Wayne County fields.  Why?  Well, spring is known to be the time for budding flowers, budding trees, and budding new lives, of course!  Now that temperatures are comfortable, the little guys are roaming everywhere.  This makes me think:  what kind of a future will these baby cows face?  I do realize that they are not human children, and therefore, are incapable of lessening their own impact on the environment, but the thought of any new life growing up in a world fighting for its own is troubling. 
     I, along with the staff here at CEC believe wholeheartedly in sustainability, and though it is sometimes difficult to do the right thing, I think that we should be thinking about future generations.  I admit that sometimes I forget to throw a plastic water bottle in the trash can--my humanity is at fault for that one, right?!  Those mistakes are rare and are not the point of the bigger picture:  if we do not do our part in living sustainable lives, what kind of a future do we leave for these calves?  Moreover, what kind of a future do we leave for our own generations to come? 
     I know that in this "green" age (and I am not just talking about spring!), we are used to being bombarded with Public Service Announcements and news telling us that we are wrong, wrong, WRONG for forgetting to throw away that single water bottle, but I think what is more important is that we try.  We can try to reduce our usage of shower water, try to reuse plastic containers, and try to recycle our cereal boxes.  Realistically, you alone may not be able save the world, but we are all links in this "green" chain; we are only as strong as our weakest link, and every single one of you should hold yourselves accountable to keeping the chain strong enough to sustain our future generations.  So, if we can all do our part by reducing, reusing, and recycling, isn't is like bestowing the best kind of gift on our children:  the gift of a healthy future?

Just a thought!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment